#33. Xoloitzcuintli (toy, mini, standard)
- 2018 AKC popularity rank: #140
- Full-grown height: 8–14 inches (toy), 14–23 inches (miniature), 18-23 inches (standard)
- Full-grown weight: 10–15 pounds (toy), 15–30 pounds (miniature), 30-55 pounds (standard)
- Traits: Loyal, alert, calm, trainable, watchdog
One of the oldest breeds at 3,000 years old, Xoloitzcuintli dogs were historically thought to ward off evil spirits and intruders at home. Today, the dogs of the Aztec gods make great watchdogs; they’re alert, but stay calm as they protect their domains.
#32. American hairless terrier
- 2018 AKC popularity rank: #136
- Full-grown height: 12–16 inches
- Full-grown weight: 12–16 pounds
- Traits: Inquisitive, playful
Those allergic to dogs love the American hairless terrier, whose lack of coat and affectionate nature make it a wonderful, fur-free companion. They’re good watchdogs, but also get along with other pets—cats included.
#31. English toy spaniel
- 2018 AKC popularity rank: #135
- Full-grown height: 9–10 inches
- Full-grown weight: 8–14 pounds
- Traits: Affectionate, alert
This snub-nosed pup with its famous silky coat is curious and well behaved, almost never barks, and is a happy presence around the house. If you’re seeking friendship of a regal degree—even for a dog perfectly content on your lap—the English toy spaniel was bred as a king’s companion.
#30. Manchester terrier (standard, toy)
- 2018 AKC popularity rank: #133
- Full-grown height: 15–16 inches (standard), 10–12 inches (toy)
- Full-grown weight: 12–22 pounds (standard), under 12 pounds (toy)
- Traits: Spirited, bright, loyal, independent
Manchester terriers (toy or standard) are fiercely loyal and smart, and though they are fine hanging out indoors, their athleticism will truly shine when taken outside. They’re fast and can enjoy themselves when they are given room to run.
#29. Kerry blue terrier
- 2018 AKC popularity rank: #129
- Full-grown height: 18–19.5 inches (male), 17.5–19 inches (female)
- Full-grown weight: 33–40 pounds (male), slightly less for females
- Traits: Smart, alert, oriented
Naturally inclined to explore, the Kerry blue terrier is vivacious, smart, and lively. They love to romp around the house and are allergy-friendly because they rarely shed.
You may also like: 50 endangered species that only live in the Amazon Rainforest
#28. Welsh terrier
- 2018 AKC popularity rank: #107
- Full-grown height: 15 inches (male), proportionally smaller (female)
- Full-grown weight: 20 pounds, proportionally smaller (female)
- Traits: Alert, spirited
Larger than your average terrier (but smaller than the Airedale), Welsh terriers are calmer than many in the terrier family, but still have an upbeat personality. They’re great with children and can interact with other dogs under moderate supervision.
#27. Japanese Chin
- 2018 AKC popularity rank: #104
- Full-grown height: 8–11 inches
- Full-grown weight: 7–11 pounds
- Traits: Charming, loving, reserved
This intelligent breed lives for its companions, but like a true aristocrat, is reserved until it gets to know you. Japanese Chins are almost cat-like with their loving yet coy personalities.
#26. Brussels Griffon
- 2018 AKC popularity rank: #98
- Full-grown height: 7–10 inches
- Full-grown weight: 8–10 pounds
- Traits: Alert, curious, loyal
Much like a terrier, the smart Brussels Griffon is a happy pup that can be an obedient, trainable watchdog for your home. This breed is also known for its almost human-like expressions. Be prepared for an outsized personality despite its stature.
#25. Norwegian elkhound
- 2018 AKC popularity rank: #97
- Full-grown height: 20.5 inches (male), 19.5 inches (female)
- Full-grown weight: 55 pounds (male), 48 pounds (female)
- Traits: Confident, dignified, friendly
The Norwegian elkhound has hunting in its DNA, so while these dependable dogs are happy to keep you company at home, they thrive on a bit of exercise when taken outside. These dogs are also known to carry themselves in a dignified manner, but are friendly nonetheless.
- 2018 AKC popularity rank: #95
- Full-grown height: 18 inches (male), 17 inches (female)
- Full-grown weight: 35–45 pounds
- Traits: Outgoing, lively, friendly
Sharing similar traits to other northern breeds, the Keeshond is a fuzzy, sturdy companion who is welcoming to anyone it meets, and even enjoys making new friends. The Holland native remains “a symbol of Dutch patriotism.”
You may also like: 10 toxic cleaning products and their natural alternatives2018 All rights reserved.