#20. Great Neck Plaza, NY
- Population: 6,964 (15% age 55-64 and 32% age 65+)
- Median household income: $74,303
- Housing: $338,900 median household value and $1,839 median rent
Great Neck Plaza has a lot going on for a village that is only about a third of a square mile. Easy to access via the Long Island Railroad, the village features over 260 retail stores, upscale shops, and restaurants.
#19. Murrells Inlet, SC
- Population: 8,752 (19% age 55-64 and 31% age 65+)
- Median household income: $51,667
- Housing: $234,000 median household value and $1,104 median rent
Murrells Inlet, is a quaint fishing village brimming with history and natural beauty located 10 miles South of Myrtle Beach. This slice of paradise awaits golfers, art enthusiasts, fishing enthusiasts, antique collectors, and naturalists.
#18. Chevy Chase, MD
- Population: 9,844 (13% age 55-64 and 21% age 65+)
- Median household income: $173,333
- Housing: $897,000 median household value and $2,341 median rent
Founded as a streetcar suburb, Chevy Chase is affluent and friendly town located in Montgomery County. The small town has great access to museums, malls, restaurants, and parks.
#17. Sunset Beach, NC
- Population: 3,769 (19% age 55-64 and 53% age 65+)
- Median household income: $56,689
- Housing: $263,300 median household value and $1,052 median rent
North Carolina's Sunset Beach, on the south end of Brunswick Island, was recently listed on National Geographic's 21 Best Beaches in the World. Golf, museums, eateries, kayaking, and shops add to the allure.
#16. South Kensington, MD
- Population: 8,684 (15% age 55-64 and 19% age 65+)
- Median household income: $160,303
- Housing: $718,000 median household value and $2,113 median rent
Frequently found on best places to live rosters, South Kensington is lauded for its safety and a plethora of places to enjoy outdoor activities. The affluent town boasts six parks, shopping, and eateries.
#15. Bethany Beach, DE
- Population: 1,010 (23% age 55-64 and 53% age 65+)
- Median household income: $78,889
- Housing: $495,500 median household value and $1,211 median rent
Bethany Beach is a small, affluent beach and resort town between Ocean City and Rehoboth Beach. Along with a small boardwalk, Bethany Beach has lots of restaurants, and Delaware Seashore State Park is just to the north of Bethany Beach. Along with the benefits of no state sales tax, there are low property taxes.
#14. Hilton Head Island, SC
- Population: 39,666 (17% age 55-64 and 34% age 65+)
- Median household income: $72,569
- Housing: $454,300 median household value and $1,153 median rent
Hilton Head Island, known for its beaches and golf courses, is a great place to retire. Planned developments known as “plantations” dot the area. South Carolina's low country is a popular place to retire, thanks to its low cost of living and warm climate.
#13. Rehoboth Beach, DE
- Population: 1,218 (24% age 55-64 and 49% age 65+)
- Median household income: $85,729
- Housing: $878,900 median household value and $1,231 median rent
Dolphins, birds, and beaches are just some reasons retirees flock to Rehoboth, Delaware. Only about one square mile, the popular beach area has a small-town feel and was named as a Best Place to Retire by the AARP.
#12. Garden City, SC
- Population: 9,702 (16% age 55-64 and 41% age 65+)
- Median household income: $42,879
- Housing: $138,400 median household value and $953 median rent
Ranked the most tax-friendly area for South Carolina retirees by a SmartAsset study, Garden City is blooming with many reasons to retire there, not limited to golfing, fishing, shopping, and sandy beaches.
#11. Siesta Key, FL
- Population: 5,850 (16% age 55-64 and 47% age 65+)
- Median household income: $84,890
- Housing: $659,400 median household value and $1,417 median rent
If retiring to a world-famous beach is on your bucket list, be sure to check out Siesta Key in Sarasota. The Travel Channel named Crescent Beach on Siesta Key as the best sand beach in the country. Mild weather, no income taxes, low property taxes, and 99% pure quartz sand are just a few more benefits.2018 All rights reserved.