#40. Thomaston, NY
- Population: 2,735 (14% age 55-64 and 22% age 65+)
- Median household income: $117,279
- Housing: $809,700 median household value and $1,988 median rent
In the Long Island town of Great Neck, Thomaston's parks, restaurants, and coffee shops offer residents countless places to congregate. A fun fact is that comedian Groucho Marx had a house here.
#39. Pinehurst, NC
- Population: 15,580 (14% age 55-64 and 41% age 65+)
- Median household income: $81,724
- Housing: $289,800 median household value and $1,633 median rent
Die-hard golfers know the magic of Pinehurst, renowned for the pristine courses at Pinehurst Resort, however this North Carolina town shines for its retirees, too. Boating, visiting botanical gardens, and culinary tasting tours are just a few of the activities at this destination that golfing couples will love.
#38. Carolina Shores, NC
- Population: 3,771 (21% age 55-64 and 49% age 65+)
- Median household income: $50,541
- Housing: $180,900 median household value and $1,171 median rent
Retirees will be in good company in Carolina Shores, where the median age is 64. Outdoor enthusiasts will be drawn to the coastal community and its easy access to seafood restaurants, barrier islands, and Myrtle Beach.
#37. Penn Wynne, PA
- Population: 5,720 (18% age 55-64 and 21% age 65+)
- Median household income: $115,625
- Housing: $367,400 median household value and $1,500 median rent
Safe and green top the list of adjectives to describe Penn Wynne, a suburb of Montgomery County. Its large Orthodox Jewish community works diligently to preserve the area's natural assets.
#36. Huntington Bay, NY
- Population: 1,458 (20% age 55-64 and 27% age 65+)
- Median household income: $183,500
- Housing: $1,091,500 median household value and $2,250 median rent
The village of Huntington Bay, part of the town of Huntington, sits on the North Shore of Long Island. Lovers of water activities and sports will feel at home at the Huntington Yacht Club, the Head of the Bay Club, and the Town of Huntington's Crescent Beach. Nearby Huntington Village is home to fine eateries, pubs, and retail shops.
#35. University Gardens, NY
- Population: 4,208 (14% age 55-64 and 18% age 65+)
- Median household income: $97,180
- Housing: $641,000 median household value and $1,478 median rent
University Gardens, in the Great Neck region of New York, is an urban spot ideal for affluent retirees who enjoy cultural activities like going to the theater, drinking fine wine, and shopping at boutiques.
#34. Somerset, MD
- Population: 1,113 (14% age 55-64 and 26% age 65+)
- Median household income: $250,001
- Housing: $1,209,600 median household value and $3,501 median rent
Somerset, between Chesapeake Bay and the Atlantic, is best known for its charm and lovely countryside. Clean air, fresh seafood, and endless tidal bays and rivers make it a desirable destination for fishermen, nature-lovers, photographers, and kayakers.
#33. Surf City, NJ
- Population: 1,238 (17% age 55-64 and 45% age 65+)
- Median household income: $77,885
- Housing: $669,700 median household value and $1,125 median rent
Beach-lovers will feel right at home to in Surf City. Along with being close to the sea and the bay, residents can enjoy a myriad of boutiques and restaurants. If relaxation and beautiful beaches are on your bucket list, Surf City is the place for you.
#32. Surfside Beach, SC
- Population: 4,232 (19% age 55-64 and 27% age 65+)
- Median household income: $50,490
- Housing: $248,500 median household value and $900 median rent
Surfside Beach, around 10 miles south of Myrtle Beach, which is ranked one of the best beach towns in the country, is all about family and fun. Along with seven parks and pristine beaches, there's a wealth of places to enjoy fresh seafood and outdoor activities. The town council signed a proclamation making Surfside Beach the first autism-friendly travel destination.
#31. Roslyn, NY
- Population: 2,849 (13% age 55-64 and 28% age 65+)
- Median household income: $102,857
- Housing: $468,400 median household value and $2,271 median rent
In the hills of Long Island's Gold Coast, Roslyn is a vibrant village boasting lovely restored houses and buildings, historic landmarks, and a bustling downtown. Its library hosts lectures, events, and exhibits, while a 16-acre green space in the village center offers year-round activities.
2018 All rights reserved.