Best museums in Orlando
The United States is home to more than 35,000 museums, according to data from the Institute of Museum and Library Services. These cultural strongholds run the gamut of natural history, world wars, art, and even children's books.
While some fancy a trip to the Smithsonian Museum in Washington D.C. or the Museum of Modern Art in New York City, others like to cozy up in a corner and read the Very Hungry Caterpillar at the Eric Carle Museum in Amherst, Mass. How does one define a museum?
Early museums housed private collections curated by individuals, while today's museums—many of them major tourist attractions—are filled with art, history, science, artifacts, fossils, historical documents, and some curious collections. Along with exhibitions of art, history, and science, Stacker unearthed museums filled with bananas, popcorn, and some very odd stuff.
All across the U.S., visitors can find museums to explore any subject that piques the imagination. A trip to Washington D.C. provides an opportunity to visit a number of iconic museums for free. A visit to Boston means getting to enjoy the Museum of Fine Arts or learn about the Boston Tea Party ships. In California, travelers can tour the International Museum of Bananas before popping by the Wyandot Popcorn Museum in Ohio or The Museum of Bad Art in Massachusetts.
Have you ever checked out the museums in your area? To determine the best museums in Orlando, Stacker turned to data from Foursquare (data current as of April 19, 2019). All museums were ranked by Foursquare’s algorithm, which predicts the “best” museums based on combined factors of the number of check-ins, rating signals, category matches, tips, and photo trends. Click through this gallery to find out which are the best museums Orlando has to offer.
You may also like: Best parks in Orlando
#10. The World of Chocolate Museum
- Address: 11701 International Dr., Orlando
- Foursquare rating: 7.6
- See more on The World of Chocolate Museum
#9. Ripley's Believe It Or Not Orlando Museum
- Address: 8201 International Dr., Orlando
- Foursquare rating: 7.5
- See more on Ripley's Believe It Or Not Orlando Museum
#8. Snap! Space
- Address: 1013 E. Colonial Dr. (at Thornton Ave.), Orlando
- Foursquare rating: 8.3
- See more on Snap! Space
#7. Skeletons: Animals Unveiled
- Address: 8441 International Dr. (at ICON Orlando 360), Orlando
- Foursquare rating: 8.2
- See more on Skeletons: Animals Unveiled
#6. Madame Tussauds Orlando
- Address: 8387 International Dr. (at ICON Orlando 360), Orlando
- Foursquare rating: 8.6
- See more on Madame Tussauds Orlando
#5. The Wizarding World Of Harry Potter
- Address: 6000 Universal Blvd, Orlando
- Foursquare rating: 7.5
- See more on The Wizarding World Of Harry Potter
#4. The Mennello Museum Of American Art
- Address: 900 E. Princeton St., Orlando
- Foursquare rating: 8.0
- See more on The Mennello Museum Of American Art
#3. Jurassic Park Discovery Center
- Address: Jurassic Park (at Islands of Adventure), 6000 Universal Blvd., Orlando
- Foursquare rating: 8.4
- See more on Jurassic Park Discovery Center2018 All rights reserved.