The United States is home to more than 35,000 museums, according to data from the Institute of Museum and Library Services. These cultural strongholds run the gamut of natural history, world wars, art, and even children's books.
While some fancy a trip to the Smithsonian Museum in Washington D.C. or the Museum of Modern Art in New York City, others like to cozy up in a corner and read the Very Hungry Caterpillar at the Eric Carle Museum in Amherst, Mass. How does one define a museum?
Early museums housed private collections curated by individuals, while today's museums—many of them major tourist attractions—are filled with art, history, science, artifacts, fossils, historical documents, and some curious collections. Along with exhibitions of art, history, and science, Stacker unearthed museums filled with bananas, popcorn, and some very odd stuff.
All across the U.S., visitors can find museums to explore any subject that piques the imagination. A trip to Washington D.C. provides an opportunity to visit a number of iconic museums for free. A visit to Boston means getting to enjoy the Museum of Fine Arts or learn about the Boston Tea Party ships. In California, travelers can tour the International Museum of Bananas before popping by the Wyandot Popcorn Museum in Ohio or The Museum of Bad Art in Massachusetts.
Have you ever checked out the museums in your area? To determine the best museums in Louisville, Stacker turned to data from Foursquare (data current as of April 19, 2019). All museums were ranked by Foursquare’s algorithm, which predicts the “best” museums based on combined factors of the number of check-ins, rating signals, category matches, tips, and photo trends. Click through this gallery to find out which are the best museums Louisville has to offer.
You may also like: Best museums in San Antonio
- Address: 1402 Saint James Ct., Louisville
- Foursquare rating: 7.3
- See more on Conrad-Caldwell House
- Address: 106 W. Brandeis Ave., Louisville
- Foursquare rating: 7.5
- See more on Gheens Science Hall And Rauch Planetarium
- Address: 1701 W. Muhammad Ali Blvd, Louisville
- Foursquare rating: 7.9
- See more on Kentucky Center For African American Heritage
- Address: 3005 River Rd. (at Zorn Ave.), Louisville
- Foursquare rating: 8.3
- See more on Louisville Water Tower Park
- Address: 727 W. Main St., Louisville
- Foursquare rating: 8.3
- See more on Kentucky Science Center
- Address: 704 Central Ave., Louisville
- Foursquare rating: 9.1
- See more on Kentucky Derby Museum
- Address: 2035 S. 3rd St. (btwn Unity Pl. & Shipp), Louisville
- Foursquare rating: 8.8
- See more on Speed Art Museum
- Address: 800 W. Main St., Louisville
- Foursquare rating: 9.3
- See more on Louisville Slugger Museum & Factory
- Address: 144 N. 6th St. (W. River Rd.), Louisville
- Foursquare rating: 9.0
- See more on Muhammad Ali Center
- Address: 829 W. Main St., Louisville
- Foursquare rating: 9.2
- See more on Frazier History Museum