The United States is home to more than 35,000 museums, according to data from the Institute of Museum and Library Services. These cultural strongholds run the gamut of natural history, world wars, art, and even children's books.
While some fancy a trip to the Smithsonian Museum in Washington D.C. or the Museum of Modern Art in New York City, others like to cozy up in a corner and read the Very Hungry Caterpillar at the Eric Carle Museum in Amherst, Mass. How does one define a museum?
Early museums housed private collections curated by individuals, while today's museums—many of them major tourist attractions—are filled with art, history, science, artifacts, fossils, historical documents, and some curious collections. Along with exhibitions of art, history, and science, Stacker unearthed museums filled with bananas, popcorn, and some very odd stuff.
All across the U.S., visitors can find museums to explore any subject that piques the imagination. A trip to Washington D.C. provides an opportunity to visit a number of iconic museums for free. A visit to Boston means getting to enjoy the Museum of Fine Arts or learn about the Boston Tea Party ships. In California, travelers can tour the International Museum of Bananas before popping by the Wyandot Popcorn Museum in Ohio or The Museum of Bad Art in Massachusetts.
Have you ever checked out the museums in your area? To determine the best museums in Pittsburgh, Stacker turned to data from Foursquare (data current as of April 19, 2019). All museums were ranked by Foursquare’s algorithm, which predicts the “best” museums based on combined factors of the number of check-ins, rating signals, category matches, tips, and photo trends. Click through this gallery to find out which are the best museums Pittsburgh has to offer.
You may also like: Best parks in Pittsburgh
- Address: 101 Commonwealth Pl., Pittsburgh
- Foursquare rating: 7.8
- See more on Fort Pitt Museum
- Address: 4141 5th Ave. (at Bigelow Blvd), Pittsburgh
- Foursquare rating: 8.0
- See more on Soldiers & Sailors Memorial Hall & Museum
- Address: 10 Childrens Way, Pittsburgh
- Foursquare rating: 9.0
- See more on Children's Museum of Pittsburgh
- Address: 7227 Reynolds St. (at S. Homewood Ave.), Pittsburgh
- Foursquare rating: 8.8
- See more on The Frick Art And Historical Center
- Address: 117 Sandusky St., Pittsburgh
- Foursquare rating: 9.1
- See more on The Andy Warhol Museum
- Address: 1212 Smallman St., Pittsburgh
- Foursquare rating: 9.2
- See more on Senator John Heinz History Center
- Address: 4400 Forbes Ave., Pittsburgh
- Foursquare rating: 9.4
- See more on Carnegie Museum Of Art
- Address: 500 Sampsonia Way (btwn Monterey & Sherman), Pittsburgh
- Foursquare rating: 8.9
- See more on Mattress Factory Museum
- Address: 1 Allegheny Ave., Pittsburgh
- Foursquare rating: 8.9
- See more on Carnegie Science Center
- Address: 4400 Forbes Ave. (at S. Bellefield Ave.), Pittsburgh
- Foursquare rating: 9.3
- See more on Carnegie Museum Of Natural History